Friday, January 27, 2017

Three Simple Words

This post is part of Blogging Abroad's 2017 New Years Blog Challenge, week four: Change and Hope.

In three simple words: change is hard. There are a million ways to say that, to describe it, to illustrate just how difficult change is, but sometimes simple is best. Change is hard.

We know that coming in to Peace Corps service, because we know the job is hard. Again, the phrase they’ve told us from the beginning crops back up, “Peace Corps is the hardest job you’ll ever love” – everyone who did Peace Corps ever. It’s true though; we do development work, development work is all about change, and change is hard. It’s only natural that our job will be hard based on the work that we try to do. But we also know it inherently as human beings. Have you ever had a nasty habit you’ve tried to quit a thousand times and never succeeded? Of course, we all have one. For me (not that I’ve ever truly tried with all I have to break it though), it’s biting my fingernails. It’s not even a nervous habit for me; it’s just something I’ve always done. Often it’s when I’m absent-mindedly thinking about something, because I have this annoying need to chew on something, and my fingernails are always readily available…even if they’re already shortened to the nubs. For you it might be smoking, drinking (pop or alcohol!), watching TV, being too negative, saying sorry too much, being late constantly, or a million other things that people have tried to change over the years. The point is we’ve all failed at something like that sometime, so we all know just how hard change is.

Mobile clinic day
So if change is so damn hard, how does Peace Corps expect us to do it? How are people doing it? How did the people before us do it? Well in my mind it always comes down to two words: hope and persistence. Honestly, that’s what a lot of my job is here, putting those two words into action, every single day. I’m an extrovert, but some days I don’t feel like going out into the village, I want to just hide myself in my hammock and read a book all day. On those days, it takes a lot of those two words to get me out there: hope that what I’m doing is worth something, and persistence in forcing myself to keep trying to accomplish some good, even if I can’t see it. Thankfully I’m very much the optimist, so those bad days are few and far between, but the need for those two words definitely isn’t, and why I need them never changes. Sometimes though, even on the good days, it’s hard to keep telling myself that. That’s when I think of my favorite quote, “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi. That’s what keeps me going on the days when I don’t know if I can.


Picking up trash after a Special
Olympics Belize event
The way I see it is this: sometimes change can occur simply through education, and I hope that happens quite a lot during my time here as a community health educator, but sometimes it takes someone modeling the behavior you want to change, and it always requires some sort of emotional component (whether that’s self-determination, an end-goal, a personal connection, etc.). That being said, I’m not naïve enough to believe education alone will create the changes I’m here working toward, I firmly believe that it will require personal connections and modeling the behavior. That’s what gets me out of my room those days, knowing that if I’m not out working with the people in my community, I’m not making any progress toward my goal of improving community health in my village. This quote by Gandhi has always been my favorite, but it resonates so much more with my life now doing what I do here. If I want to help make changes in my village to improve health, I have to be willing to make the journey right alongside the people I live and work with, showing them by doing it myself or trying something new with them. It’s been great motivation on both fronts: it helps get me out and about working, exercising, or meeting people, and the more exposure I get with people in the village, the more likely any changes I try to help with will succeed. I can only hope that by the end of my two years here, my hope and persistence will have paid off at least a little bit and I’ll leave CK a healthier place than it was when I came.

Best,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment